Causes of Edema
• Low albumin
• Allergic reactions
• Heart disease
• Liver disease
• Kidney disease
• Head trauma
• Low blood sodium
• High altitude
• Brain tumors
• Obstruction to fluid drainage
Symptoms of Edema
• Limited movement
• Difficulty in breathing
Treatment of Edema
• Medications such as antihistamines and corticosteroids can be used.
• Blood thinners can be used in cases of blood clots and swelling.
• In the case of a tumor obstructing a blood vessel or lymph flow, the tumor can be reduced in size or removed with surgery, chemotherapy, or radiation.
• Diuretics can be used in leg edema related to congestive heart failure or liver disease.
• Ankle Foot Orthosis can be used to control the edema for leg edema patients.
CPO provides Double Upright Metal Ankle Foot Orthosis for edema patients. Visit our website www.cpousa.com for more information or contact us at 888.676.2276 for more details.